It is a tool that a learner can use to gain a depth of insight into the emotions of a user of their choice. It helps in identifying specific act by the user in a given circumstances or conditions. Through imaginations, a learner learns to create or visualize scenarios using one’s thoughts.
A sample of thought process re-orientation
(Courtesy: Cleveland Clinic; CEO Toby Cosgrove, MD, shared this video, titled “Empathy,” with the Cleveland Clinic staff during his 2012 State of the Clinic address on Feb.)
Pre-requisite prior beginning:
The exercise needs to be completed within a time-frame of about thirty minutes.
- Empathy mapping sheet;
- Sticky notes;
- Thick-bold marker (one or more colors);
- Pencils/sketch pens for drawing objects (optional)
Process is very simple to do:
- Identify a single user. Be specific who your user is. Give a name to the user.
- Identify stakeholders of the user.
- These are the persons getting involved in the life of the user. The frequency of involvement may vary from daily to yearly basis.
- Think of activities that the user must be doing.
- When exhausted of thoughts on activities of the user, assume that the user is meeting each of the stakeholders. Identify new activities possibly happening.
- Now, one need to become a movie script writer.
- Two stories are essential involving happy (gain) and sad (pain) emotions each. Both of these emotions are crucial for happenings in a persons’ life (our user);
- Involve the thinking and feelings of the user, what the user must be seeing at, or hearing to or saying to someone.
- Give name of each of the actor in your stories;
- Places may be given names;
- Draw diagrams in relevance, if any you like to draw;
- Attempt to use entire of the paper, drain out your thoughts.
- You are done with mapping for empathy of a user.
- Iterate by taking another user.
Some tips to make your empathy mapping effective:
- Put your name and identity on the mapping sheet – FIRST TASK.
- Avoid forceful/enforced observation (in form of experience’ for example, making empathy of thoughts for a newborn baby…!);
- Avoid hypocritical thinking;
- One must enter into the emotion of the user;
- Expect what your user will expect (expectations are natural for someone to do something);
- Remember that the technologies evolve organically and step-by-step, not overnight and all of a sudden.
(Image source: http://www.biggerplate.com/mindmaps/YvBl62SN/empathy-map)
A quick look into “How to make an Empathy Mapping sheet?”
Empathy Mapping by Bhasker V. Bhatt is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Author created the content as a part of developing Open Educational Resources (OER). It means you are free to use, re-use and distribute the above all for free provided while the usage, proper citation is made. The page is under Creative Commons free culture license.